How do you rate Home among episodes in Season 1?
How does this episode rate for you? I think a lot of people really like it for the emotion it causes in the characters and subsequently in the viewers. It's strange but although it was not one of my favorites before, it is kind of growing on me. For some though, this is the episode that clinches it from the beginning. Makes them a fan of the show.
If you have the time, tell us what you do or don't like about this episode in a comment!
Here I go with my rewatch comments:
1) First of all, the scene where Jenny hears the scratching. I thought her line: "Please God, don't let it be rats..." was (just a little?) ironical. Rats are the least of your problems, Jenny.
2) I thought it may not be a coincidence that Jenny was looking at the family pictures when the spirit (Mary) came out of the closet. (Do you think she was awakened in a way? Maybe the evil spirits came because of it too. Since there had been no activity in the house until then, it seems like a possibility.)
3) Sam finally tells Dean his secret - that he saw Jessica's death before it happened - and he has had another dream about their home. Dean with his traumatic memories has a hard time accepting that they have to go back. This is a very emotional scene. Sam is speaking loudly to try to convince Dean that he is right, and Dean is trying to deal with it all in a kind of quiet panic. Finally in answer to Sam's "we have to go," Dean answers with determination:
(linked to original)
"I know we do."
Man, that expression, or should I say, group of expressions from bewilderment to alarm to determination really does me in.
4) When they get there, Sam stops Dean from lying about who they are. Good move, because she recognizes their names and lets them in. Reminds me of when they talked to the elder in Bugs. How Sam was seen as the honest one.
When they hear about the scratching, backed-up pipes etc, and then hear from Sari about the spirit on fire... the looks on Dean's face again are just incredible. You can kind of feel all the emotions he has been feeling about going back to the old house, and then the dispair as he realizes there is something here trying to hurt these people. Here he is trying to keep it together...
5) Both Sam and Dean are now in a panic. Trying to figure out what to do. Whether it is the same thing that killed mom or not. Asked by Sam to tell him what he remembers about that night, Dean tells Sam:
"I remember the heat... and then I carried you out the front door."
Huh, so Sam didn't know about that. That's the second big surprise for Sam after hearing about dad from Dean the last episode. It seems Sam was kept in the dark about alot of things.
The whole thing is too much for Dean. He calls dad for help. Someone told me that this was the scene they got hooked on Supernatural.
"I need your help Dad."
And his emotions spilling out.
4) We hear a little about John(dad)'s personality from a work buddy. Stubborn, hates to lose, loved his wife and kids.
5) Significant: Sam's words at Missouri's - "Dad going missing and Jessica dying and now this house. All happening at once. It all feels like something's starting." Also significant is Sam's ability to dream of deaths before they happen. Sam can sense this too I think. He asks Missouri: "What's happening to me?"
6) Sam doesn't know anything about that night, but he uses exactly the same words on Sari that John used to Dean when Dean carried Sam out...
John/Sam: Take your brother outside as fast as you can - don't look back.
What I don't understand is why he stayed in the house and made Sari and her brother go without him. Maybe he sensed something was after him personally? Maybe he wanted to check out the burning figure? Why didn't he go out and bring Dean along??
In any case, Sam figures out that it's their mom's spirit.
7) significant: Mom tells Sam - "I'm sorry." Sam answers: "For what?" but she doesn't tell him. We find out why later. Interesting that Missouri and Sam have the same exchange.