As I mentioned in previous episode comments, Sam is still recovering from Jessica's death and Dean has been showing concern for Sam's emotional state in that regard. The last episode, Skin, there was not so much of this but we did get a little glimpes into Sam's University life and friends. The fact that Sam had not shared his knowledge and family "profession" with his friends - even to Jessica - is addressed. It is maybe significant that Becky askes Sam whether Jessica had known. I wonder what Becky thought when Sam said no. I felt her face was of understanding and sorrow.
That is when we enter Episode 7. Sam is running searches on Dad and discouraged. Dean says, "I don't think dad wants to be found." I wonder if Dean had an incling that dad was on to something big, or he was still in the "everybody ends up leaving me" mode of Skin... In any case he is happy to be with Sam and suggests going on another hunt.
For me, this Hook Man episodes is one of the scarier episodes of Supenatural. It's made in the typical way of horror films where your heart is always thumping because you know the monster is going to come out and attack suddenly. And don't forget the typical stupid boyfriend going out to investigate on his own.
Here are some favorite and significant scenes:
1) Sam and Dean's exchange with the guys at the fraternity... Dean making Sam paint the boy's back. funny.
2) Their grand entrance at the church and exchange with the pastor... well handled!(good job Dean!)
3) Sam's talks with Lorry.
Again, Sam empathizes with Lorry and helps her open up.
4) When Sam and Dean go out to Nine Mile Road to try to deter the spirit, they use rock salt bullets. Dean explains how dad and he thought to make them. Is this the first time for them to use the rock salt? Why didn't they use it for the White Lady? Maybe Dean didn't have time to change his bullets?
5) After the second death, Sam and Dean go to check out the sorority. There are several funny moments here:
(Think we'll see a naked pillow fight?)
And the little exchange after they climb into the room:
"Hey be quiet." "You be quiet." "You be quiet!"
Interestingly they talk of "strong o-zone" as indication of a spirit.
6) Talking about college - makes me think Dean's experience of college would have been much more fun than Sam's!
7)Dean digging up the "un-marked" grave. Hot!
8)Dean and Sam talking at the hospital and they sync! "So if we find the hook... we stop the hook man!"
9)When Sam/Dean shoot the hook man, the bullets go through windows etc. They are real bullets. In future episodes, you don't notice that as much. I love the way the hook man burns up in the end.
10) Finally, the most important scene to me. Dean watching as Sam cannot kiss Lorry in the end. We saw this during the epi too, when Lorry leaned in to kiss him and he told her he couldn't. But here we find Dean watching for it. Hoping that Sam is gradually getting over Jessica's death.(I've used this scene for my banner at the bottom.)
Dean says: "We can stay?"
Sam: shakes his head.
Place: Western Iowa University
Dr. Vankman: Dean calls Sam this when he finds out that the killings many years ago were also on Nine Mile Road. Dr. Vankman is the main character of the Ghostbusters,played by Peter Murray
Split Habit-Higher Mathematics(first sorority scene)
Bang your Head by Quiet Riot (car trip to scene)
Noise by Low Five (fraternity)
Peace of Mind by Boston (leaving town)
この ホックマン というエピソードは私にとってスーパーナチュラルのなかでは怖めのエピソードです。よ